A urogynecologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist who has specialized in the care of women with pelvic floor disorders.
What is a Pelvic Floor Disorder or Dysfunction?
The pelvic floor is the muscles, ligaments, connective tissue and nerves that help support and control the rectum, uterus, vagina and bladder. The pelvic floor can be damaged by childbirth, repeated heavy lifting, chronic disease or surgery. When you are unable to control the musclese in your pelvic floor to have a bowell mvoement, it is called pelvic floor dysfunction.
Symptoms of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- The feeling that you need to have several bowel movements during a short period of time.
- The feeling that you cannot complete a bowel movement.
- Constipation or straining pain with bowel movements.
- A frequent need to urinate. When you do go, you may stop and start many times.
- Painful urination.
- Pain in your lower back that cannot be explained by other causes.
- Ongoing pain in your pelvic region, genitals or rectum.
- Pain for women during intercourse.
Who suffers from a Pelvic Floor Disorder?
An estimated 1 in 4 women will suffer from pelvic floor dysfunction at some point in their lives, and as women age, the likelihood of a pelvic floor disorder increases. The likelidhood of developing a pelvic floor disorder is higher for women who are overweight or obese and for women who have given birth.
Sovah Health - Martinsville sees patients for the following conditions or procedures:
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Urinary incontinence
- Bowel incontinence
- Overactive bladder
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Uterine leimyoma or fibroids
- Abnormal bleeding
- Sexual dysfunction
If you or someone you know suffers from a pelvic floor disorder, call a referral consultant at 844.GO.SOVAH to be referred to a physician specializing in pelvic floor disorders.
- Behavioral Health
- Cancer Care
- Emergency Services
- Heart & Vascular
- Home Health & Hospice
- Occupational Medicine
- Pain Center
- Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy
- Sleep Medicine
- Surgical Services
- Women's Services
- Wound Care